Email marketing remains one of the most effective ways for eCommerce businesses to connect with customers, drive sales, and increase brand loyalty. As technology continues to evolve and competition becomes more intense, it’s crucial for eCommerce businesses to stay ahead of the curve in email marketing. In this blog post, we’ll explore the current state of eCommerce email marketing and strategies for creating successful eCommerce marketing email campaigns in 2023.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a digital marketing strategy that involves sending informative or promotional messages to a target audience through email. The goal of email marketing is to build relationships with potential and existing customers, increase brand awareness, drive website traffic and sales, and promote engagement. Emails are typically sent to a subscribed email list, and can include elements such as text, images, videos, and links. Email marketing can be automated, personalized, and segmented to deliver targeted messages to specific customer groups, resulting in more effective campaigns.
The state of eCommerce email marketing in 2023
According to recent studies, email continues to be the preferred method of communication for consumers, and it’s no different in the world of eCommerce. In 2023, email marketing is predicted to continue to be a key driver of eCommerce success.
Statista reports that ROI is up to $45 for every dollar spent on email marketing, especially in the retail, eCommerce, and consumer goods sectors. Email marketing revenue reached US $7.5 billion in 2020 and is predicted to cross the $10 billion threshold in 2023.
According to the Email Trends and Benchmarks (Q2-2019) published by Epsilon, emails have an average open rate (OR) of 30.7% and click-through rate (CTR) of 2.9%.
Personalized emails can have an open rate 29% higher and CTR 41% higher compared to non-personalized emails. And email marketing automation can result in a conversion rate increase of up to 15%
These statistics highlight the power of email as a marketing tool and the potential it has to connect with customers and drive conversions. One of the biggest advantages of email marketing is its ability to reach a targeted audience. eCommerce businesses can use email to reach customers who have already shown an interest in their products or services.
However, eCommerce email marketing is not without its challenges. The biggest challenge is standing out in an inbox filled with hundreds of emails. To overcome this challenge, eCommerce businesses must create compelling and engaging content that stands out and encourages customers to take action.
Crafting effective eCommerce email campaigns
Creating effective eCommerce email campaigns requires understanding your target audience, knowing what drives them to take action, and creating content that resonates with them. There are several types of email campaigns that eCommerce businesses can use, including welcome emails, abandoned cart reminders, promotional emails, and newsletter campaigns. Read our post on email marketing gap analysis to learn more about these email campaigns and how to ensure you don’t leave gaps when executing them.
5 strategies for creating successful eCommerce marketing email campaigns
- Segmentation and Personalization: Segment your email list based on factors such as purchase history, location, and email engagement, and personalize your campaigns to each individual customer group. This allows you to deliver more relevant and targeted content that resonates with each customer, resulting in higher open and conversion rates.
- Compelling Subject Lines and Calls-to-Action: Your subject line is the first thing your customers see in their inbox. It needs to be clear, to the point, and attention-grabbing. Your call-to-action should be prominent, with clear instructions on what the reader should do next.
- Mobile Optimization: With more than half of all emails being opened on mobile devices, it’s important to ensure that your emails are optimized for mobile viewing. This includes using responsive design and keeping your email content short and to the point.
- Testing and Optimization: Regular testing of different elements such as subject lines, calls-to-action, and email content is critical to improving the performance of your campaigns. Analyze your campaigns to identify areas for improvement and optimize accordingly.
- Automation: Automated email campaigns, such as abandoned cart reminders, welcome emails, and promotional campaigns, can save time and increase efficiency. Automated campaigns can also provide a more personalized experience for your customers, increasing engagement and conversions.
eCommerce email marketing remains a critical component of any successful eCommerce strategy in 2023, and eCommerce businesses must take advantage of its many benefits. By using the strategies outlined in this blog post, eCommerce businesses can create email campaigns that connect with customers and drive sales. So start implementing these strategies today, and see the results for yourself!
Drive more eCommerce revenue and customer loyalty with email marketing. scandiweb offers a full range email marketing management services that covers email marketing strategy development, copywriting, design, optimization, and more. Get in touch with one of our CRO experts to learn more on how we can help you through the contact form or by sending us an email at [email protected].